A Swiss Boiserie from the Schloss Herblingen

May 24 2011, 1:50pm

  Carlton Hobbs LLC This boiserie is a rare and unusual survival of an eighteenth century panelled room from a Swiss castle. The room is comprised of a series of trompe l’oeil painted panels, each depicting a figure within an architectural niche. The various figures, rendered in grisaille, include allegories of the four seasons and justice as well as exotic figures such as the native archer illustrated in the following photographs.   Carlton Hobbs LLC   Schloss Herblingen (figure 1) commands an imposing position overlooking the village of Herblingen and the more distant city of Schaffhausen. The site was occupied from at least 1052, when Pope Leo IX consecrated a chapel on the grounds, but the oldest extant part of the castle dates back to the twelfth century, when the estate belonged to the Knights of Herblingen.   Engraving of Schloss Herblingen. The castle changed hands numerous times in its long history: in the thirteenth century the castle was owned by the Dukes of Austria before coming into the hands of the City of Schaffhausen, when it served as the residence for regional officials. Later still, for a brief period after 1733, it was owned by a Viennese banker, Johann Wilhelm Gestefeld. Carlton Hobbs LLC   It was around this time that the present room would likely have been installed in the dining room at Herblingen. In contrast to the austere facade of the building, the interior was magnificently furnished, with stucco ceilings and panelled walls containing an exquisite and eclectic collection of furniture, tapestries, porcelain, silver, sculpture, and European and oriental works of art.     Carlton Hobbs LLC