A PAIR OF GILTWOOD NEOCLASSICAL SIDE TABLES ATTRIBUTED TO J.C. LILLIE WITH TOPS OF VOLCANIC STONES AND MARBLES POSSIBLY BY GIUSEPPE CANART

June 8 2009, 2:46pm

The design of the present tables can confidently be attributed to the celebrated J.C. Lillie (1760-1827), the most prominent furniture designer in Denmark during the late 18th and early 19th century, who was appointed to the newly-created post of Architect and Designer to the Danish Court in November 1790. The form of the present tables is closely related to a console-table, “undoubtedly designed and supplied by Lillie” in 1793 for the “Haunted Room” at the private residence of Liselund. The use of spirals on the legs of tables was a recurrent motif in Lillie’s oeuvre.
The tops of the present tables seem likely to be the work of Giuseppe Canart (d. 1791),4 the Roman craftsman whose known commissions were predominantly in Naples. The composition of the top is similar in that it incorporates specimens, primarily of volcanic stones, inside a complex interlaced framework composed of overlapping and interlocking rings with a black border to the edge.