A Geometric Inlaid Marble Top

June 4 2009, 5:06pm

This table derives from the Quattrocentro tradition of geometric inlay found in numerous Florentine tombs and chapels (for example, the Chapel of the Medici Riccardi, designed by Michelozzo circa 1459, has a floor that employs similar geometric patterns). The bold system of inlaid lozenges and circles give the top a striking modernity, which is further enhanced by the subtle color palette chosen by the designer. The table's large central lozenge is made of brown alabaster, which was invariably used as the central feature of pietre dure tops made in Rome and Florence during the 16th and 17th centuries.